Yield 1 tart
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray 10-inch springform pan with vegetable oil.
- Roll out pastry sheet to 13 inches square. Place the pan on top of the dough and cut off corners so that you have a circle 13-inches in diameter. Line the pan with the dough, and place in the freezer while preparing the filing.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot add the butter, apples, allspice, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Stir occasionally until the apples begin to soften. Transfer apples to a cool bowl.
- Place the water, sugar, and rhubarb into a small covered pot. Place on burner set on medium high until the contents boil. Continue to cook covered for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and cook until the rhubarb is very tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Place half of the apples on top of the crust. Top with all but 3 tablespoons of the rhubarb. Toss the remaining apples with the reserved rhubarb, and then arrange apples decoratively on top of the rhubarb.
- Bake in 400 F oven for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 325 F until apples are very tender and dough is golden brown, about 35 to 45 more minutes.
- Cool on a rack for at least an hour before removing from the pan.
Andy Broder - KitchenThink