I wanted chili that was about as sweet as meat with BBQ sauce. But, I wanted something that wasn't smoky-sweet, and didn't use vinegar. This chili is great with sourdough bread and a side of Sizzled Greens.*
Yield 8 servings
- Preheat a Dutch oven over medium heat. When hot add the oil and onion. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and chipotle in adobo sauce. Stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Turn the burner off. Add the bourbon and then reset the burner to medium high. Cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid has reduced by 3/4.
- Add the beef. Stir frequently until the beef has browned.
- Add the brown sugar, tomatoes, chicken stock, and balsamic vinegar. Stir to incorporate. When the chili begins to bubble reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally until he meat is very tender -- about 1 hour
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Andy Broder - KitchenThink