Yield About 2 cups
- Bring water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a medium pot.
- Add the kale and garlic cloves.
- Boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer kale and garlic to a food processor or blender. Use a slotted spoon or tongs so that you can use the cooking water to thin the pesto.
- Add juice from half a lemon, nutmeg, pecans, and olive oil.
- Adjust for desired consistency by adding a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid (which will also add salt), and/or olive oil, and/or more lemon juice.
- Puree again. Season to taste with salt (or more salted water) and pepper.
Use lemon juice to taste. Start with juice from half a lemon and then add more if desired. VARIATION: add half a cup of grated hard cheese, such as Parmesan or Asiago.
Andy Broder - KitchenThink